Journal of Patient Safety and Infection Control

ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year
: 2021  |  Volume : 9  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 54--59

Medication adherence of antiretroviral drugs in HIV-positive children in Maharashtra


Tanishq N Gore, Neeraja Pasalkar, Rojin Mathew Daniel, Prasanna R Deshpande 
 Department of Clinical Pharmacy, Poona College of Pharmacy, Bharati Vidyapeeth (Deemed to be) University, Pune, Maharashtra, India

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Prasanna R Deshpande
Department of Clinical Pharmacy, Poona College of Pharmacy, Bharati Vidyapeeth (Deemed to be) University, Pune, Maharashtra
India

Background: Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) is a viral infection that can lead to acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). It is a virus that breaks down the CD4 cells in the immune system which weakens the immune system allowing it to be vulnerable for lethal opportunistic infections. Aim and Objective: Medication adherence of antiretroviral drugs in HIV-positive children in Maharashtra. Methodology: A prospective, observational, multi-centric study was conducted among HIV-inflicted paediatrics in Maharashtra. This study was conducted for a duration of 6 months, i.e., from October 19 to March 20 on patients under the inclusion criteria. Marathi and English versions of MARS (Medication Adherence Report Scale) questionnaire and demographic details were collected form the participants. Results: A total of 75 questionnaires were distributed and procured, filled with vital information of the participants among the three study sites. The average age of the participants was found to be 14.1 years. Overall female predominance was there (55% girls. According to our scoring scale, an adherence of 90.66% was observed among the participants, whereas the other 9.33% were considered non-adherent or partially adherent. Conclusions: The present study indicates that the HIV-inflicted paediatric patients have a good knowledge about their medical condition and were adherent to antiretroviral therapy.


How to cite this article:
Gore TN, Pasalkar N, Daniel RM, Deshpande PR. Medication adherence of antiretroviral drugs in HIV-positive children in Maharashtra.J Patient Saf Infect Control 2021;9:54-59


How to cite this URL:
Gore TN, Pasalkar N, Daniel RM, Deshpande PR. Medication adherence of antiretroviral drugs in HIV-positive children in Maharashtra. J Patient Saf Infect Control [serial online] 2021 [cited 2022 Jun 30 ];9:54-59
Available from: https://www.jpsiconline.com/article.asp?issn=2214-207X;year=2021;volume=9;issue=2;spage=54;epage=59;aulast=Gore;type=0